Friday, March 8, 2013

MFW K–Kk Kangaroo

{CLICK HERE} to view the rest of our MFW K unit posts.
{CLICK HERE} to view our post explaining WHY we chose MFW K for our family.

Alex is 5 years, 2 months
Max is 3 years, 6 months

We are using My Father’s World Kindergarten as our base,
adding in some of my own printables.

prekindergarten 
This week, we are learning the letter Kk for Kangaroo
Our Bible words are: I am safe in God.

books

Alex loved this cute, simple story.  We read it again and again.

The one below was the best informational book we found for a 5 year old.  It offers plenty of interesting facts, yet it does so in a way that’s simple enough to hold a 5 year old’s attention.  I liked this book a lot!

I found Marsupial Sue to be a rather…odd…story.  We found the book/CD set at our library.  Alex liked it.  Max LOVED it.  (He’s 3.5 yrs old.)  The CD is John Lithgow SINGING the story.  I found it really annoying, and I think Alex did as well.  Max, on the other hand, BEGGED to hear that song again and again.  (Personally, I think I’d rather not ever hear it again…it’s been stuck in my head ALL WEEK.)

video

Here’s Alex reading the little story that is included in Unit 17 of MFW K.

calendar

Alex is anxiously waiting for “Leprechaun’s Day”, as he is calling St. Patricks Day.

We also enjoyed the opportunity to check off a few SNOW boxes on the weather chart!

IMG_7997

According to the manual, we should be celebrating our 100th day of school this week.
This is where I admit that we lost track of our days a while back.
Jensyn kept dumping out our straws.
I kept forgetting to have Alex write down the number of the day on his 100 Chart. 
Oops!  100 Day Parties can be really fun…if you remember to keep track! Smile

bible

We read Bible verses and talked about one of King David’s Psalms
to help us understand that God keeps us safe. 

We used a kangaroo pattern from Making Learning Fun to make this kangaroo mama & joey.
On the pocket, we wrote “I am safe in God.”

Alex wrote “SAFE”.
I did the other words because the pocket wasn’t big enough to fit all of his words.

IMG_8040

phonics

This week, we learned the –ck says /k/ at the end of a word.
Alex caught on very quickly.

IMG_8000IMG_8001

IMG_7998

He did a great job reading “Kim’s Hat”.

IMG_8031

beginning sounds  (my own page)

IMG_8061

handwriting

IMG_7999

Very good attempts…
his only problem was that he really wanted the bottom part of the K to curve like a C.
IMG_8083IMG_8084

 math

I totally forgot to get a picture of this week’s MFW K math page…
it was an introduction to the  fractions 1/4 and 1/2,
and it had a simple fruit salad recipe if you wanted to try it.
(We didn’t, as I forgot to purchase the right things!)

writing and counting 17 (my own page)

IMG_8030

finishing the pattern (my own page – contact me if you use MFW and want these pages)

IMG_8072

more counting/number practice
(These are too easy, but he wanted to do little brother’s pages!)

IMG_8053IMG_8058IMG_8064

science

We popped outside with sidewalk chalk and a tape measure to measure how far Alex can jump, and then we compared it to how far a kangaroo can jump.  Alex’s longest jump was 40 inches.  A kangaroo can jump 30 feet in one hop!

IMG_8081IMG_8082

art

cutting out his kangaroo Bible project, which we found online

IMG_8037IMG_8080

We also used a pattern from Danielle’s Place website.  It’s meant to have a small cup as a pouch, but we subbed half a toilet paper tube because that’s what we had.  We used an extra joey from Making Learning Fun since this pattern doesn’t come with a joey.

IMG_8048

Alex had fun using both of his paper kangaroos to reenact the story Pouch.

IMG_8075IMG_8076

other

a mommy-made kangaroo maze

  IMG_8051

tot school 
(Max is 3 years, 6 months…and Jensyn is 23 months, if that matters)

Just for the record, I *offer* these activities to my little ones.  I  *NEVER NEVER* force a 3 year old to sit down and do “worksheets”.  Max is free to play or do his own thing.  I encourage puzzles, hands-on activities, etc…and he can do whatever paperwork interests him. 

We did my mini kangaroo preschool pack this week.  I don’t have it in my shop, as it’s not a complete pack at this point.  *IF* you use MFW K, you can contact me and I’ll send you the file.  It’s nothing big and nothing special…I think it’s 10 pages with a maze, counting page, letter recognition page for K, beginning sound page, magnet page, and puzzle cards.

Little Miss Jensyn is no longer napping when we do Max’s “notebook school”, so while I am not trying to teach her anything, I do have to keep her occupied! This week was magnets and a Kangaroo magnet page and a free-for-all with dry erase markers.

IMG_8073IMG_8052IMG_8049

painting kangaroos (pattern from Danielle’s Place website)

IMG_8045
we used half a toilet paper tube instead of a plastic cup

IMG_8077IMG_8074

puzzle cards

IMG_8070IMG_8071

counting…he is REALLY recognizing all of his numbers now!

IMG_8066IMG_8068IMG_8059

maze, intro to letter K

IMG_8060IMG_8055


We may be linking up with the following blogs:
Tot School

No comments: