Friday, June 14, 2013

Goodbye, Google Reader! Hello, bloglovin’!

Most of us have known for a while that Google Reader {the website/app that makes it easy to follow your favorite blogs and see when there are new posts} is going to be discontinued in July.

I looked into several options for similar blog readers, but nothing was quite right.  Feedly came close, but it just didn’t really appeal to me.  The Old Reader was another option that looked interesting, but it wasn’t exactly what I wanted either.  There were a few others that I looked into, but they just weren’t “IT”.

I asked on Facebook, and one of my Little Monkey followers (thanks, Amy!) recommended trying bloglovin’.  That ended up being a TERRIFIC suggestion, and I am totally in love with bloglovin’ as my Google Reader replacement.

bloglovin

It works quite similarly to Google Reader, but it will also automatically link you directly to the blog, making it very easy to leave a comment on a blog post.  THAT is convenient, and I know blog owners always appreciate when readers leave a kind or helpful comment! :)

If you haven’t found a replacement yet, you’ll want to do that in the next 2 weeks so that, when Google Reader disappears, you don’t lose the list of blogs that you follow.  It is VERY easy to transfer your Google Reader RSS feed to any of the sites that I listed above.

Here’s a site that give you a quick run-through of how to transfer your Google Reader RSS feed to bloglovin’ if that’s the route you choose to go.

http://heartifb.com/2013/03/15/how-to-move-your-google-reader-rss-feed-to-bloglovin/

By the way, I haven’t tried out the bloglovin’ app yet, as I have a Kindle Fire – and that app is not yet in the Amazon Apps.  There is a bloglovin’ app in both Google Play and iTunes, and if you try it, I’d love to hear some feedback on how that’s working for you! :)

No comments: